Alta Massage College of Southern California
Los Angeles City and San Fernando Valley
LOS ANGELES COUNTY
The Massage Technician License given by the County allows you to practice in a business or in other people’s homes in areas of the county that are not incorporated as cities, such as Marina del Rey and Topanga Canyon, and in recently incorporated cities of West Hollywood and Malibu. There is no hourly requirement to obtain a massage therapy license in the Los Angeles Counties. You must work for or have a letter of intent of employment from someone with a valid police permit for a massage business.
Massage education requirements for Manhattan Beach is 100 hours. Please obtain paperwork from the Community Development Center at 1400 Highland, Manhattan Beach. Cost of license ranges from $156 for massage technician, and $297 for business owner, with fingerprinting and photo requirements. You can also call (310) 802-5520 for more information.
Apply for ‘Massage Technician License’ at City Clerk’s Office. Address for West Los Angeles Office – 1808 Sawtelle Boulevard, Suite 102. San Fernando Valley Office – 14401 Erwin
Take the following with you:
- A Massage Therapist Diploma with a minimum of 300 hours from a school approved by the State Department of Postsecondary Education.
- A letter of intent of employment (i.e. J. Smith will be employed by… name of health club, chiropractor’s office, etc).
- Written proof you are at least 18 years old.
Fees due: On Premise Police Permit: $261.00 Off Premise Police Permit: $266.00 Fingerprinting: $27.00 License: $106.43 Approximate Cost: $399.43
Take a Massage Technician License Examination When you apply for licensing, you will receive three cards. The Massage Technician examination consists of the following:
- Practical (worth 60% of examination) 10 – 15 minute exam Please bring someone to act as your subject during exam Written (worth 40% of examination)
- 50 multiple choice questions Test Results *A combined total score of 70% or higher is necessary to pass. Present this card to the Los Angeles City Clerk for your permit.
Medical Test. Once you pass the written and practical test, you will need to submit within 30 days a written statement form a state-certified M.D. to the effect that you “have been examined and on the basis of laboratory tests were found to be free from all communicable and or venereal diseases” on the date of that examination day. (Make sure you use these exact words).
Mail this statement to: Commission Investigators Office Room 144, Parker Center 150 North Los Angeles Street Los Angeles, CA 90012
Renewal of license is annually and requires a new medical certificate each time. For additional information, please call the Los Angeles City Clerk at (213) 485-3916 or (818) 756-2531.
For a copy of the City Ordinance, call (213) 485-3967.
*Note: The information hereto is meant to be a guide for those interested in becoming licensed with the city they will be working in. All information in this guide is subject to change by the various agencies.